EMILY M. MAASS
Emily is a corporate attorney with an extensive background in privacy and data security, export controls, technology solutions, and commercial transactions.
Emily is an experienced corporate attorney and advisor on multinational, federal, and state privacy regimes, including GDPR and CCPA, and data breach prevention and response protocols. She also represents clients with day-to-day business needs, from corporate governance to contract negotiations, and advises on regulatory compliance across industry sectors, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) matters.
Emily enjoys supporting clients operating in highly regulated industries, startups, technology companies, and companies seeking technology-based solutions to achieve their commercial goals.
In addition to her corporate practice, Emily leverages her prior experience serving the Oregon Legislative Assembly as a Deputy Legislative Counsel to advise businesses and trade association stakeholders on successful engagement in the legislative process. She also frequently speaks at events on topics related to privacy and data security, technology and corporate best practices, and the legislative process.
When she is not practicing law, Emily enjoys hiking and camping with her family and their Chesapeake Bay Retriever, traveling to far-flung locations, attending live music events, and cheering the Portland Thorns to victory.
- Member, Oregon Law Commission Limited Liability Company Act Modernization Work Group (2019-Present)
- Member-at-Large, Oregon State Bar Business Law Section Executive Committee (2019-Present)
- Member, Oregon State Bar Business Law Section Legislative Committee (2018-Present)
- Member, Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce Alaska Business Forum Committee (2018-Present)
- City Co-Director, Lesbians Who Tech + Allies: Portland (2018-2020)
- Leader, Convergence: Tech Policy 2018, Policy & Legislation Working Group
- Member, Technology Association of Oregon Advocacy Committee (2018-Present)
- Member, Oregon Women Lawyers (2017-Present)
- Member, OGALLA – The LGBT Bar Association of Oregon (2017-Present)
- Member, Anchorage Association of Women Lawyers (2012-Present)
- Presenter, “2021 Privacy Law Update: Top five questions (and perhaps a few more) in privacy”, Technology Law Section – Oregon State Bar (2021)
- Presenter, “Privacy and Cybersecurity Today”, League of Women Voters of Portland (2020)
- Presenter, “HR’s Pivotal Role in Cybersecurity”, Society for Human Resource Management (2020)
- Presenter, “CCPA and Proposed Washington Legislation for Bankers”, Heritage Bank Audit & Compliance Peer Group (2020)
- Presenter, “Cyber Security & the Maritime Industry: How to Address Privacy & Data Security”, Maritime Commerce Club (2020)
- Presenter, “Understanding and Preparing for the California Consumer Privacy Act Part Two”, Oregon State Bar (2019)
- Presenter, “Let’s Get Digital: Privacy & Data Security Best Practices in the Workplace”, Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries 35th Annual Employment Law Conference (2019)
- Presenter, “Understanding and Preparing for the California Consumer Privacy Act”, Oregon State Bar (2019)
- Presenter, “The Future of Privacy Regulation: Implications for the Tech Industry & Finding Opportunities to Innovate”, TechfestNW (2019)
- Author, “First Europe, Now California? Harmonizing Your Business’s GDPR Compliance Efforts With the California Consumer Privacy Act” (2018)
- Presenter, “The Changing Face of Privacy Law”, Information Systems Audit and Control Association (2018)
- Presenter, “GDPR & Your Business”, Alaska Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section (2018)
- Author, “Striking a Delicate Balance: Demonstrating a Legitimate Interest Under the GDPR”, Privacy & Data Security Legal Update (2018)
- Author, “GDPR: It’s Not Too Late to Get on Board”, Privacy & Data Security Legal Update (2018)
- Author, “The GDPR & US: How the General Data Protection Regulation Impacts US Businesses”, Privacy & Data Security Law Update (2018)
- Alaska State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- Washington State Courts
- State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D., 2009
- Hollins University, BA in Political Science & Government and Psychology, 2006