As an immersive and interactive media and entertainment attorney with Immix’s IME Law division, Matt represents some of the most prolific video game development companies in the industry, as well as developers and financiers of XR technology and content. When Forbes magazine recently listed the Top 20 Best-Selling Video Games of the Last Decade, Matt’s clients topped the list – in fact, Matt represents the Lead Producer and Lead Designer of the #1 game of the past decade, and the Lead Director, Lead Writer and Lead Designer of the #2 and #3 games of the past decade.
In addition, Matt serves as counsel to top television and motion picture producers and financiers, and recently served as lead counsel on the first YouTube to Netflix deal in history. Matt also has extensive experience in counseling clients regarding innovative monetization models in the technology and entertainment sectors.
In film, Matt has served as financier counsel for major motion pictures with budgets totaling more than $300 million, and as counsel to producers and executives with lifetime box office exceeding $5 billion.
IME’s clients have been nominated for or won Academy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Emmy Awards, Grammy Awards, and Streamy Awards.
Matt is inspired by clients who understand that the entertainment industry is in a perpetual state of creative revolution, and who are fearless in their desire to influence how content is created and experienced in passive, interactive, immersive, and intelligent environments. Matt views his role as a protector of his clients’ interests and ambitions, and is guided by honesty, tenacity, and innovation in each relationship and transaction.
Learn more about Matt and IME Law here.
- Lumiere Award, Best VR Location Based Animation Short (IME for Tree VR) (2018)
- Telly Award, Evolution of Video Games (2013)
- Washington Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2011 – 2018)
- PSBJ 40 Under 40 (2012)
- Panelist, “Future Opportunities for Developers,” Pocket Gamer Connects Seattle (2019)
- Panelist, “Investor’s Panel,” XR on the Bay, Advanced Imaging Society (2018)
- Co-Author, “ZeniMax v. Oculus Lawsuit Awards $500M to Plaintiff, Verdict Detailed in Court Documents,” Road to VR (2017)
- Co-Author, “$4 Billion ZeniMax v. Oculus Verdict Could Come as Early as Today, Here’s What You Need to Know,” Road to VR (2017)
- Keynote Speaker, “Disruption: The Business of Virtual Reality Entertainment (VRE),” University of North Carolina (2017)
- Moderator, “Virtual, Mixed, Augmented Reality: A Tech Sector Supporting Other Industries” panel, Cascadia Conference (2017)
- Panelist, “VR Content Distribution & Monetization,” PGA West, Producers Guild of America New Media Council (2017)
- Panelist, “Five Things Every Producer Needs to Know About Virtual Reality” panel, Panelist, Produced by: New York Conference, Producers Guild of America (2017)
- Panelist, “VR Financing & Monetization Models” panel, VR on the Lot (2017)
- Moderator, “The Future of VR/AR/MR: How Immersive Technologies Impact Business,” Rotary Club of Seattle-Seattle 4 (2017)
- Speaker, “Sharing the Wealth: The Future of VRE Monetization,” VR Shows-London (2017)
- Speaker, “New VREality,” Microsoft (2017)
- Speaker, “VR Monetization” panel, VRLA (2017)
- Panelist, “Immerse Yourself: Your Next Steps in Virtual Reality” panel, Sundance (2017)
- Washington State Courts
- California State Courts
- University of the Pacific—McGeorge School of Law, J.D. 2008, Top 1%