There’s no doubt about it, consumer privacy laws are here to stay. Since 2018, countries around the world and a swath of U.S. states have dramatically changed policy direction with respect to privacy. New consumer privacy laws now set boundaries on use of consumer data by private companies and empower consumers with controls over their data floating around the digital marketplace. In response, companies everywhere are adjusting how they do business, at both the B2C and B2B levels, and consumers are more aware than ever about their choices in how their data is accessed and used.
Merely a Reflection
Beneath the Surface
- Customer experiences designed to incorporate notice, consent, and opt-out requirements
- Marketing campaigns that meet opt-in and opt-out standards
- Vendor and service provider contracts with adequate privacy and data security requirements
- Data Privacy Impact Assessment and/or Legitimate Interest Assessment
- Information Security Program governing data security standards and internal company policies
- Data retention and destruction policies and schedules
- Employee privacy policies, training, and confidentiality agreements
- Insurance policies that cover information systems and data security incidents
Additionally, your company’s privacy program should be designed to address the laws that apply to your company today and structured to accommodate your company’s growth tomorrow. In practice, that means a program that does not hold your company accountable for laws to which it is not subject, but also avoids having to rebuild core processes to capitalize on the next big growth opportunity. An attorney specializing in privacy law can help to implement and maintain a program that work for and grows with your company.
In Full Scope
About the Author: Emily Maass
As a corporate attorney with an extensive background in privacy and data security, technology, export controls, and commercial transactions, Emily represents clientele across the business life-cycle to provide innovative, multi-faceted solutions that helps companies achieve their commercial goals.
For further information, please email email@example.com.